- Patent pending design fits sedans, hatchbacks, minivans and SUV’s – consult manufacturer web site for specific vehicle fit information
- Patented quick snap set-up design allow for super-quick set up right out of the box. Padded lower frame keeps bicycles away from vehicle
- 21″ Long Carry Arms easily accommodate up to 4 bicycles 140 LB Max capacity. Clear arch top and bottom feet provide maximum vehicle clearance for rack
- Individual Dual-Compound tie-down cradles secure and protect bicycles. Two patented sure strap lower straps keeps bottom hooks in place during use
- Extra large car pads help to distribute bicycles load and protect vehicle finish. Material: Steel
I’ve been shopping for a bike rack for my Toyota Sienna 2017 mini-van since we can have up to 4 bikes total when heading to the biking trails. However, you should know that there are different kinds of bike racks for cars in the market today. The Allen Sports Premier Trunk Mounted Bike Rack S-104 is compatible sedans, hatchbacks, minivans and SUV’s.
To confirm your vehicle is compatible: Allen Sports Vehicle Finder
There are two options that were commonly found while researching bike racks that mount to the back of your vehicle.
Hitch verses Tie Down Straps for Vehicle Bike Rack
Here are some mini-van hitches you can purchase for your mini-van. To have it professionally installed including purchase can run anywhere between $200 to $500.
It’s fairly simple, but the bike rack is a bit heavy so try to be extra careful if you are trying to attach the top straps alone. There are six points on the back of the van in which you’ll latch on the tie down straps and tighten them to secure the rack onto the vehicle.
I personally found it very easy, but can be time consuming as it’s needed each time you’re heading out to the bike trail. It takes anywhere between 5-10 minutes to hook up the straps. (see video at the bottom of this page)
How Secure is the Rack?
The straps are very secure, we have even loaded up to 4 adult bikes and the arms which the bike rests on seems to do well. We have traveled up to 30 miles with the bike rack and have hit plenty of bumps along the way. As long as the straps are secure and the rubber ties are tight around the bikes, I’m pretty confident they won’t go anywhere.
However, one word of caution is the rubber pads must be touching the vehicle to avoid scratches.
- It’s straight forward to install
- Alternative if your vehicle does not have a hitch
- Bikes are very secure
- Does the job
- Just like any other tie-down bike rack, you have to untie the straps to access the trunk
- The space on the rack arms can be a bit tight if wanting to add a forth bike
- Time consuming to install and load up the bikes, takes about 15 to 20 mins each time for 3-4 bikes
I would recommend the Allen Sports Premier Trunk Mounted Bike Rack S-104 for anyone who does not have a vehicle hitch installed and is looking for a solid tie down bike rack. Allen Sports Premier Trunk Mounted Bike Rack S-104 does the job and the craftsmanship has not disappointed. The steel frame is very thick and sturdy, the straps are decent and over the course of six months, it has endured long trips with no issues.
Would I purchase this again? I absolutely would.
Video of Installation of a Bike Rack Tie Down Strap