The KidiBuzz™ G2 is the Wi-Fi smart device that kids and parents will love. Kids get the messaging, photography, games and music they want—and parents get peace of mind knowing kids can play, connect safely and learn along the way. Pair this device with the free KidiConnect™ app to securely send texts, voice messages, images and to approve your child’s contact list. Parental controls also let you set time limits and add your own list of specifically approved websites. The Wonder Masks app lets kids add movement-responsive face filters to pictures. For augmented reality fun, they can play Creature Detective, which blends AR gaming with learning. The KidiBuzz™ G2 comes with 40+ learning games that cover math, spelling, science, problem-solving, music, Spanish and more. Enjoy access to a free trial of LeapFrog Academy®, an interactive learning program filled with 2,000 engaging games and activities. This device is not a cell phone. Intended for ages 4-9 years. Lithium-ion battery included.
Alright, this one is specially for adults who doesn’t know what a KidiBuzz™ G2 is. The KidiBuzz G2 from vTech is a kid’s version of a smart phone but with parental governance giving parents a peace of mind while kids enjoy using the device. In this day and age, parents will need to be a little more than creative to keep them off their own phones. I know I have my own challenges when it comes to that which makes the KidiBuzz G2 so popular not just with kids but also parents. Surprisingly I have seen kids as young as a second grader owning one. (Kids grow up so fast these days)
With the holidays approaching, I’ve come to learn about the KidiBuzz G2 from my little one and having seen one in clearance aisle at Walmart, I couldn’t resist picking one up. This review will be of my personal opinion/experience and feedback received from my kids and nieces and nephews.
Rating: 5 out of 5
This was an easy area to rate since the box we got was already damaged (which is why it was in the clearance aisle). The KidiBuzz G2 was functioning as intended and no physical damage found.
The KidiBuzz G2 was packaged quite nicely and came in a box housed in a plastic molding within another boxing as seen here. Removing the device from the packaging was very easy and very well protected.
What's in the rest of the box
- 180° rotating camera
- 5” touch screen
- 8GB memory
- microSD card slot
- USB cable
- AC adapter
- Headphone jack
- Rechargeable Li-polymer battery (non-removable)
Appearance and Handling
Rating: 5 out of 5
While a bit larger and bulkier, it will remind you of a phone that was released about 5 years ago. The kids should have an easier time holding and navigating with the screens.
The KidiBuzz G2 is also lightweight with a large screen that is crisps and sharp.
Rating: 5 out of 5
KidConnect App and Learning Lodge
These are the two words you will hear often when dealing with KidiBuzz G2.
The VTech KidConnect app is a messaging app that allows kids to safely communicate with friends and family members through the KidiBuzz toy. KidiConnect is free to download and use, and features no in-app advertisements or purchases.
The VTech Learning Lodge is the place where hundreds of downloads happen. Parents can choose which apps will be able to download learning games, videos, e-books, music and more!
Kidibuzz did a great job including the standard apps including:
- Calendar – Kids can easily keep track of the days and schedules
- Talk Button – Press this to send a quick voice message
- Clock – Keeps track of time and allow kids to set alarms and reminders
- Art Studio – Kids will be able to color, draw using colored pencils, stencils, and stamps
- Ebooks – The ebook reader is available for the kids to read their favorite ebooks.
- Calculator – will allow kids to quickly calculate math equations
- Ring Tones – Standard and custom ring tones is available for selection
- Notes – Kids can jot their ideas or thoughts on this notepadT
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
As of winter of 2019, the KidiBuzz G2 can be found anywhere in the $85-$100 price range. It may be worth it if you can get your kids to stop pestering to use your phone and you having control over what content they will be exposed to. I think it’s price fairly considering how much a real phone costs and other Wi-fi handheld gaming devices.
Things you should know About the KidiBuzz
- KidiBuzz G2 is intended for kids ages 4-9 years old.
- KidiBuzz is NOT a phone, but a communication device for kids that functions over WiFi connection. There is NO cellular or data plan required but the KidiBuzz must be connected to a wireless network. The wireless network will enable the KidiBuzz for the messaging app KidiConnect, Surf the web and interact with certain apps.
- It will cost $0.50 to enable KidiConnect during KidiBuzz registration. Credit card would be the payment choice. VTECH is in compliance with the rules of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), this charge verifies that an adult is registering the KidiBuzz and consents to their child’s use of KidiConnect. The device will not allow the KidiConnect app to send text, photo or voice messages if not registered. All other functions of the KidiBuzz will be working, including a large selection of learning games and the kid-safe web browser. All of the proceeds will be donated to UNICEF and according to VTECH your credit card information will not be saved.
- It may take up to 3.5 hours to fully charge the KidiBuzz G2
- The KidiBuzz G2 is sleek, and very durable with shatter-safe screen
- KidiBuzz G2 will allow parent-approved contact list from iOS® and Android™ devices using our free KidiConnect™ app.
- There are two different colors available Pink & Black
- KidiBuzz G2 – Parent’s Guide Reference
Final TGR Rating: 5 out of 5